Judy and Mark's Stuff

Just a place for Mark and I to let people know what's going on in our lives. With so many friends who live far away, thought it would be a nice way to keep in touch.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

An update on us

Haven't posted in a bit, thought I would make an update to everyone. We are doing well, though extremely busy. In January, our computer game came out with a major expansion, which added a lot of new content to the game, and so Mark and I have been very busy with that. I was one of the 20 people to get from level 60-70 on our entire server(probably has 20,000 players), and probably the first woman lol. I was also the first person in our guild, even though I had some stiff competition. It was a little crazy, and I was a little sleepy at work staying up late every night, but I got there in 5 days. Mark was soon after that, since he allowed me to go ahead and he helped me get to 70 first. It was quite an experience, I haven't stayed up like that since college. =) It was a lot of fun, and once I reached 70 I helped several other people reach 70 as well.

I don't know if I've ever explained what a guild is, but basically its a group of people who have decided in game to group together under one name. Usually there is some structure, with some people being officers, and other people as members. Officers usually have some responsibility in running a guild, putting in time helping people, and keeping the game fun for the members. We started the game almost 3 years ago under the guild, Steel Rain which was started by a work friend of our who got us into the beta testing of the game. About a year ago, it was decided to merge with another guild, to combine our numbers to be able to accomplish things in the game that required large numbers. It was a hard decision, and some people decided to stay under the old tag, and some people moved on to the Nothing Personal guild. Mark and I being one of those people though we had our reservations. Guilds are usually pretty tight knit groups, as you end up seeing these people every night in the game. Mark and I were officers and were pretty involved. Nothing personal was probably 100+ members strong, and we did a lot of good things under that tag. Lately though, things have been rough, and the leader of the guild has been very grumpy and normal quick temper has gotten worse, past the point of even the most patient. Finally, about 2 weeks ago, I had had enough and after a argument with the leader, I decided it was time to leave. When I left, several other people left as well, so we have started a new guild together. Its been a lot of work to pick up the pieces and reform, but now we have about 40+ people under a new name that was voted on, with me as the leader. Its weird being the leader of all these people, and I'm trying to do my best to be fair and lead democratically. Its a challenge, but morale is high and we are looking forward to moving forward. I'm not sure of my leadership abilities, but I have a great group of officers behind me, and so I have high hopes.

Talking about leading, I have also volunteered to take on a very large project at work, and so its been a double whammy of leadership this month. I volunteered to lead the compatibility testing for Windows Vista, the new operating system, and so me and a co-worker will be leading 50 people to test 80+ different software with the new operating system. Its been a real challenge, managing all the email, and I've had to get really creative about how to track everything, but its been good excercising my organizational skill muscle. Its a bit overwhelming to be dealing with the guild and work. Had I known that the guild stuff would be changing like it had, I would probably not have volunteered for this project, but here we are. Thank God I have Mark around in both areas, he's the biggest help. =)

In January, we had a lot of visitors, as we got to see Lynette, Jason and the kids for about 4 hours as they were travelling from Texas through LAX on their layover. We also got to see Donna for 8 hours, and Jason was able to come to LA for a weekend from his ship docked in San Diego, so we hit up the good food spots as well as had fun at the California science museum.

In February, we started going to our new church's small group on Wed's. It's been very nice, and though its more structured than my Tuesday night group, the people are nice and its been good to get to know people from our new church.

Next week, we head back to Hawaii for a quick visit for Mark's mom and my nephew Noah's birthdays.(they fall on the same day). Mark's mom is doing well on the chemo though it leaves her a bit tired.

I think that's about it, can't remember anything else newsworthy. Hope everyone else is doing well, and talk to you soon hopefully.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gene and Joyce said...

Hi you guys... I check your blog everyone now and then to keep up on what is going on in your lives. We wanted to call you when we were in LA in December but time went by so fast. Maybe next time which I hope will be this fall. Would love to touch base with you. I'm still using my blog but I erased the Alaska stuff and am undating it once a week. --gene

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home