Judy and Mark's Stuff

Just a place for Mark and I to let people know what's going on in our lives. With so many friends who live far away, thought it would be a nice way to keep in touch.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Probably Crazy

Doing well here, though about to take a big leap of faith myself, quitting my job in 6 weeks to become a fulltime student for a semester or so while I finish my web design degree and try and study taxes for next year’s tax season. I will still be working for H&R Block part time in the winter and look for a new job in the spring. One of the reasons for my quitting is my health has been poor, so not working will give me some time off to try and take better care of myself and think about what I want to do when I grow up. =P Its scary since most people I tell think I’m crazy for giving up a stable job, but I just feel like it’s the best thing for me right now. Our finances will be…interesting for a while, we are already scrimping and saving in preparation for having very little income. Saimin with an egg has already become my de facto lunch at home =) It will feel weird to not be at PSU and I will miss all my great co-workers; there are some wonderful people who work at my current job.

With this change in mind, Mark is still looking for another job to supplement his part time faculty gig. He’s even extended his distance to apply for teaching jobs in Salem, which is 30 miles from our house. He is really enjoying teaching, as it has been a dream for him to be a community college professor for as long as I’ve known him. His students really love him, in fact they all wrote a letter to the dean (unbeknownst to him) asking if he could teach more classes since they all enjoyed his teaching so much. The hard part for him is that as a part time faculty, he is limited to only a small amount of teaching hours, which only adds up to half a salary, and there are some months he doesn’t teach at all. He’s is taking the H&R Block basic class to see if he could possibly work for H&R Block as another possible part time job. Oregon’s unemployment is one of the highest in the nation, and so job searching is a pretty discouraging process.

Other than our impending financial doom, Mark and I are doing okay. It’s definitely autumn here, and my yard is filled with a thick carpet of leaves that make me feel guilty for not raking them up. The trees are beautiful though. Its getting cold, and we had our first hail for the season a couple days ago. It will be an interesting winter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gene and Joyce said...

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you have an interesting time coming up. Sorry to hear about your health -- trust this change will help. Let's keep in touch.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home