Wicked...again
Had a great time seeing Wicked for the 4rth time (first time in Portland) with my co-worker Max and his wife Whitney. I absolutely love this play, the singing and sets are beautiful, but the story is complex and really speaks to me as a person. Some days I feel like Glinda; going along in life, trying to do good and be the nice person I like to think I am. Some days I'm like Elpheba, who realizes that good deeds often get misinterpreted and go wrong, and wondering where is the boundary of doing good sincerely, and doing good as a way to get attention and being "popular."
Elpheba ponders that in one of her songs, where she says:"One question haunts and hurts
Too much, too much to mention:
Was I really seeking good
Or just seeking attention?
Is that all good deeds are
When looked at with an ice-cold eye?
If that's all good deeds are
Maybe that's the reason why
No good deed goes unpunished."
The challenge is being sincere and honest with oneself and making sure that actions are being done with the right motivation. A tall order in society today. Much easier being "wicked".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home