Judy and Mark's Stuff

Just a place for Mark and I to let people know what's going on in our lives. With so many friends who live far away, thought it would be a nice way to keep in touch.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Summer is here...unfortunately.

Just thought I'd make a small update to the blog, as I have a bit of time now. The heatwave the nation is going through is making our condo very inhospitable, and Sunday I thought I was going to pass out using our computers in the bedroom. Our living room is usually much cooler because of the breeze, but it was unusually still. We have talked about putting the computers in the living room, but we want to wait till the repairs to our ceiling have been done. We almost bought a portable air conditioner as a friend of ours just got one and she recommended it, but when we went to Costco they were sold out. Today seems a tad bit cooler, so hopefully when we get home today it will be nicer.

Its been pretty uneventful here, though we did go to the beach yesterday for a hotdog roast at the fire pits at Dockweiler with my small group friends. I can't remember the last time we went to the beach, as its not my favorite place especially during the day, but the weather was very overcast and so it was very comfortable. I enjoyed the fire, and the relaxing breeze.

Mark has been taking a break from the game, and doing some reading. He just finished the latest book from the Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin, and its a great fantasy/scifi book series, though it is very dark. The author is great at making very good epic characters that are hard to pigeonhole into a good or evil stereotype, they are a blend of both.

Speaking of evil, I have been busy playing a video game character on the other side of the conflict in the WoW, and it has been an interesting experience. The Horde, typically considered the "bad guys" in WoW, aren't much different than playing on the "good" side. (Of course, no matter what side you are on in a conflict, nobody considers themselves the bad guys.) I have joined a small group of people who are just forming a guild, and on of the top officers happens to be from Hawaii so we have developed a connection through that similarity. Its a cozy group of people, and its nice to not be an officer for a while and just enjoy playing the game without the drama and politics that my other guild sometimes can inflict on me. In the game, the two sides can not communicate with each other, so I am able to play without any of my other guild friends knowing I am on. I guess I can relate it to visiting a new church when you are a leader of another one, you enjoy some anonymity so you can enjoy the service uninterupted by your normal responsibilities. Not that I'll be quiting my other guild anytime soon, but its a nice break.

I just started reading a book called Apartment Therapy, and it talks about decluttering and decorating your apartment. Seems interesting, and as we get closer to possibly getting some resolution to my repair situation(hopefully in the next couple weeks), I look forward to doing some cleaning, decluttering and decorating. I am spending some of my breaks going to the book store across the street from work and looking at the magazines and books about interior decor. I might also signup for extension class at the local college in interior decorating to get some advice, and some of my friends have certainly expressed interest in helping me fix up my place and go furniture shopping.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having fun planning the room scheme. Think you said you plan to decorate around the paintings you have in your living room, and was thinking they had lots of greens, blues/grays and maybe some purple tones. So you could build your color palatte off of that, with the green/white combination on the walls/trim, and maybe furniture in blue to bluish-gray. Or a tan/taupe tone couch in a textured fabric, reminiscent of the color of sand and palm trees in the Motherland. Accessories like throw pillows and candles in the tones you choose will pull it all together.

Hope you get to take that interior design class--bet it will be fun. I took a dance class from a community college that's near you and really enjoyed it; I'd seen an interior design class offered there and wonder if that's the one you're considering. The college has a one-stroke painting class I've wanted to take for some time; maybe someday I'll get around to it.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is about 60 degrees where we are in Alaska!!! Nice. We have had rain on and off (on right now). Glad we have missed the heat wave.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home