Judy and Mark's Stuff

Just a place for Mark and I to let people know what's going on in our lives. With so many friends who live far away, thought it would be a nice way to keep in touch.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Life is speeding up

I have a job =)

PSU called me a couple weeks ago and offered me a job with their IT department, kinda doing the same things I did at Pepperdine. I decided to take it, and so I start work this up-coming Monday. (I would have started this week, but I postponed because of the trip we are taking to LA this weekend.) It will be interesting waking up early again.... I'm kinda preparing for it this week, by gradually rising earlier and earlier. Today I had to go to tax class early since I'll be missing my usual night class because of our trip, and it was cold and dark in the morning. Definitely will be using the new coat I bought a couple weeks ago...brrr.

Two months ago, Mark and I bought tickets to LA for this weekend. Unfortunately I have my tax class midterm AND my first day of work on Monday, so I'll have to spend some of my time in LA studying. I should be getting a call from H&R Block soon for an interview for working there part time in the winter. So in the next couple months I'll go from total unemployment to working 2 jobs. At least the H&R Block stuff will end in April.

Mark is still waiting for a call from the job he interviewed at 2 weeks ago. Its hard to wait, these educational institutions take forever to make decisions. Even the job that I was hired for, I applied for in July and I'm only starting work now on Oct 29th! Now that one of us has a job, we have been considering alternate work schedules. Mark is thinking about part time work, which would allow him to drive me to and from my 2 jobs as well as leaving some time for volunteer work as well. Its nice that the lower cost of living here in Oregon allows us to be more flexible in our work situation, in LA we would have both had to work full time just to get by.

I've really enjoyed the last two weeks off before my job starts because the stress of the uncertainty of our financial situation is resolved. I've been very busy in my computer game, negotiating a alliance with another group of people so that our guild can do things in the game that require 25 people at a time. We haven't had the numbers in our normal group of people to consistently get 25 people to show up at a consistent basis. There's a lot of rules that need to be negotiated between the two "guilds", new people to meet, and a lot of planning and scheduling. Leading a guild of 50+ members and now a join alliance for 70+ is a lot of work. It reminds me a lot of being a church leader, lots of the same skills go into it, since its basically boils down to "dealing with people". Most of my time in the game is spent talking with people, listening to their personal problems and resolving conflicts between members. I have joked that being a guild leader is like being a friend, a mom, and a dominatrix all at the same time. =P It can be hard, but most of the time I enjoy it.

This week has been more hectic because of tax class and my midterm next week. This afternoon we leave for LA. Friday we'll stop by our old work place and say hi, and hopefully have lunch with some of our old-coworkers. Friday afternoon, I'm going to get my hair re-straighted. I haven't quite figured out the rest of our schedule, but I hope to see as many people as I can.

Anyways, I need to pack, and such, just thought I would catch up my blog while I had the chance.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judy, I am happy to hear that you got the job! Great news! It sure sounds like you have been busy with Tax classes and things. It was great to see you and Mark this weekend. Thanks for the advise on the decorating. :)

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home